Through out his illustrious career spanning 1000s of concerts in
almost 5 decades, many prestigious Awards, Titles and Honors were regularly heaped on Dr. Chitti Babu
PLEASE NOTE that the list below is only an indicative list and not an exhaustive
one. We will update this as we move forward.
To name a few,
here are some cherished Awards, Titles and Honors:
- "Kalaimamani" - 1972 - by the then CM of Tamil Nadu - Dr. M. Karunanidhi
- State Artiste of Tamil Nadu - 1981-1987 Honorary Title given by the then CM of
Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G. Ramachandran (MGR)
and Honorary Doctorate - in 1984 - by Andhra University, Waltair
- Sangeet Natak Akademi Award for 1990 - presented
by Shri. R. Venkataraman the then President of India
Velugu - by the then CM of AP, in 1981
- Spirit of Excellence
Award - 1992 - by Shri Shankar Dayal Sharma - Vice President of India - in Tirupathi, AP.
Vidwan" - Tirumala Tirupathi Devasthanams in the early 70s
- "Vainika Sarvabhouma" - 1968
Shikhamani" - by His Royal Highness - Maharajah of Mysore Sri Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar
- "Vainika Kulalankaara" - by the legendary Chembai Vaidyantha Bhagavthar
- "Vainika Samrat" -
- "Sangeetha Choodamani"
- by Krishna Gana Sabha - in 1990
- "Sangeetha Kala Nipuna"
- by Mylapore Fine Arts in 1995
- "Ugadi Velugu" -
Madras Telugu Academy
- "Veenai Isai Vendhan" - 1984
- by the doyen Shri Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer
- Represented India n Donauschlingen
Music Festival in the then West Germany and played before an audience of 6000 musicians that had assembled there from all
parts of the world.
- HRH Maharajah of Mysore - Sri Jayachamarajendra
Wodeyar after hearing Chitti Babu play in 1967, in a spontaneous
gesture, removed the gold chain with a resplendent pendant that he was wearing on that day,
and put it around Chitti Babu's neck as a mark of appreciation and admiration. Chitti Babu considered this, one the greatest
honours he had received because HRH Shri Wodeyar was considered to be a great connoiseur and was also known to be a "Musician
among Princes and a Prince among Musicians". Since that day, Chitti Babu proudly wore this gold chain and pendant for
all his concerts, all his life.
- A regular feature on All India
Radio and Indian TV (Doordarshan) - the ONLY channels available for a huge population at the time. His reach was even
more wider and powerful, when you consider the fact that there was no Cable TV until 1991 in India and hence no channels
- He was featured in a prime time National TV documentary called "Sadhana"
sponsored by JK Tyres and produced by Smt. Anuradha Chaurasia and Shri Satish Chibba - on Doordarshan in August of 1990 -
highligting his musical achievements. The matinee idol Shri. Kamal Hassan presented the episode (and spoke of his own genuine
admiration for Chitti Babu since his boyhood days), and was interviewed by Penaz Masani
- Chitti Babu was one of the front running performing artistes to have been featured and interviewed on many premiere
shows and programmes across Sun TV and ETV at the time, when private TV channels had just begun and were in their nascent
stage of growth in India.